Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory Community Education Coordinator
ROCKY MOUNTAIN BIRD OBSERVATORY
Conserving birds and their habitats
Community Education Coordinator
EMPLOYMENT TERM: March 5 – Dec 31 2012 with possibility of extension.
LOCATION: Brighton, CO
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications $28,000 - $32,000/yr; plus benefits, this is a salaried exempt
SCHEDULE: The position will be required to work several weekend days a month. Thus, applicants will need to be flexible and accommodate a variable weekly schedule.
Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory (RMBO) is a non-profit organization dedicated to conserving birds and
their habitats (www.rmbo.org). We achieve our mission through Science, Education, and Stewardship
programs throughout the western United States and Mexico. We monitor and identify population
trends; research habitat needs, educate diverse audiences, and engage landowners and managers in
wildlife and habitat stewardship. We work with a diversity of partners including state, federal, other
non-profits, and private landowners. We are looking for a motivated, dynamic educator who will bring
bird conservation topics to a variety of audiences.
1. Bachelor’s degree in natural resources area or environmental education/interpretation with two
years of working experience in a related field required; Master’s degree preferred. A combination of
degrees or experience in the areas of wildlife biology or environmental education, is a plus.
2. Previous experience developing and leading environmental education/interpretation programs
especially summer camps and family programs highly encouraged.
3. Experience teaching environmental education school programs in formal and non formal outdoor and
4. Experience and confidence delivering scientific messages to diverse audiences.
5. Strong communication, organizational, grant writing, and networking skills are desired.
6. Must possess a valid Driver’s License.
7. Must pass a Federal and State criminal background check.
8. Ability to speak Spanish a bonus
This position will be responsible for growing participation in programs at RMBO’s Environmental
Learning Center (ELC) by:
1. Planning, advertising, leading and evaluating summer day camps for 4-12 year olds
2. Creating a family nature club by planning, advertising, leading and evaluating monthly family progrmas
3. Serving as the weekend front line interpreter at the ELC by interacting with public visitors in the
building and on trails and offering regularly scheduled programs
4. Offering adult programs at the ELC (ex., “How to reduce your water use through native plantings”
or “Birding Basics”)
5. Assisting with training, scheduling and supervising volunteer naturalists
6. Assisting with school programs as needed (several days a week in April/May and Sept/Oct)
7. Potentially assisting with the development and implementation of “On the Wing” (an overnight summer
camp for 13-15 year olds)
8. Assisting with building partnerships and work with local communities to increase awareness of
RMBO and our programs by
a. Representing RMBO at community events such as Adams County Fair, Brighton Market
Day, Fall Bird Fest and others
b. Scheduling and delivering programs at senior centers, day cares, libraries, recreation
c. Representing RMBO at relevant meetings such as ‘National Get Outdoors Day’ planning
9. Supervising interns and other staff as needed
10. Seeking out and applying for additional funding for this position
11. Serving as the Event Manager for RMBO’s walkathon “Walk on the Wild Side”
Please send CV, cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications for this position, and
names, phone numbers and email addresses of at least 3 references to: Kacie Ehrenberger at
CLOSING DATE: Feb 1, 2012